Login Sign in

Connect with us.

Join thousands of pet parents and get vet-approved guidance, product reviews, exclusive deals, and more!

Partying Pooch Swallows 15 Jell-O Shots Left On Kitchen Floor

dog swallows jello shots
Skip To

With the new year approaching, pet parents are warned not to leave candy, candles, or any other type of dangerous substances within their dog’s reach. Unfortunately, a couple from Minnesota didn’t heed that advice with their partying pooch.

Tyler Kronstedt and his fiance returned from a fun New Year’s Eve celebration last year in the Minneapolis/St. Paul areas of Minnesota. The duo made some alcohol-infused Jell-O shots to take with them but returned home with 15 leftover shots. 

“My fiance was going to throw them away, but the bag got left on the kitchen floor when we went to bed,” Kronstedt recalls. 

Unfortunately, the couple’s dog, Red, was left unsupervised downstairs. Red managed to tear into the bag of Jell-O shots and became very intoxicated.

jello shots are dangerous to dogs

Red was stumbling all over the apartment in a drunken stupor, with red Jell-O shots scattered all over the living room. Red’s dad called Blue Pearl Hospital in Duluth, Minnesota, and recommended they call Pet Poison Helpline’s toxicology experts.

Ingestion of alcohol can cause a dog’s gastrointestinal tract to become upset, along with breathing issues, ataxia (problems with movement and walking), and hypoglycemia. Red was rushed to Blue Pearl Hospital, where life-saving measures were implemented.

“Once we got Red to Blue Pearl, they placed him on an IV for hydration and gave him anti-nausea medication,” added Kronstedt. “It’s a good thing he is such a big dog, at 85-90 pounds. If I had swallowed that many shots, I would have been wasted too. He’s normally very good and doesn’t get into the trash. The only reason he got into it that night was because we left it on the kitchen floor for him to find.”

Tyler Kronstedt

The couple was unable to afford overnight care for the dog, but they were discharged with home monitoring instructions. His dad lay next to him on the floor all night and fed him food now and then to minimize the hypoglycemic symptoms. 

Dr. Renee Schmid, a senior veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline, reminds pet parents to be aware of dangerous foods and drinks that may be laying around throughout the holidays. 

cocktail on table

“Pick up those half-finished plates of food and cocktails sitting around after guests leave,” Dr. Schmid warns. “Be aware if there are food items in packages under your Christmas tree. If you don’t find them, I can guarantee your pet will!”

Back to top