All featured products are chosen at the discretion of the author. However, Great Pet Care may make a small affiliate commission if you click through and make a purchase.
When it comes to keeping your cat healthy and happy, it’s important to pick the highest quality food for them to enjoy. With this in mind, our review team has curated a list of the best cat food of 2021, based on a combination of customer reviews, quality ingredients, and price.
Whether your feline fancies dry cat food or wet cat food, we understand that you want to keep your cat in optimal health—today and in the future. So all the brands we recommend offer the nutrition and protein your cat needs to fulfill this goal.
Read on to find the best fit for your cat—depending on their age, their preferences, and your family’s lifestyle.
- Best Overall: Smalls Human-Grade Fresh Cat Food
- Best Dry Cat Food: Blue Buffalo Indoor Health Natural Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Dry Cat Food
- Best Wet Cat Food: Tiki Cat Emma Luau Variety Pack
- Best High-Protein Cat Food: American Journey Salmon Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
- Best Grain-Free Cat Food: Purina Beyond: Ocean Whitefish and Egg Recipe
- Best Kitten Food: Wellness Complete Health Kitten Formula
- Best Cat Food for Seniors: Halo Grain Free Senior Holistic Chicken & Chicken Liver Dry Cat Food
Best Overall Cat Food
Our Pick: Smalls Human-Grade Fresh Cat Food
We love Smalls because they are a brand that puts felines first. It’s a cat food brand really dedicated to optimal cat nutrition, small batches, fresh ingredients, and excellent customer service. Their Human-Grade Fresh Cat Food is exactly what it says it is. It’s human-grade quality, USDA certified, and made from humanely harvested and sustainable protein sources. The food is available in four different recipes: Bird (Chicken), Cow, Other Bird (Turkey and Chicken Liver), and Fish. There are no preservatives, no mystery fillers, and no artificial colors. The recipes are lightly cooked and delivered to your home as part of a cat food subscription service, making your life easier! What’s not to love?
- Human-grade, USDA-certified recipes.
- 4 different fresh food options to choose from.
- Humane and sustainable protein sources.
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- Home delivery makes it easy.
Things to Consider
- This food should be kept in your freezer until 24 hours before you are ready to serve it. It can last up to 12 months when frozen.
- Smalls Fresh Cat Food does need to be refrigerated. It can be kept in a sealed bag or container in the fridge for 5-7 days after opening.
- Smalls is only available as a subscription. However, you’ll receive 25% off your first trial order. You can postpone orders at any time.
Best Dry Cat Food
When it comes to deciding what dry food to feed your feline friend it can be tough to know which is the right fit amongst the abundance of choices. We believe Blue Buffalo’s Indoor Health Natural formula is an excellent dry food that stands apart from other dry-food options available. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Great First Ingredient. We love that the first ingredient in this formula is deboned chicken: a high-quality protein that aids in healthy muscle development.
- Optimal Nutrition. What makes this formula so special is its focus on optimal nutrition. It’s made with Blue Buffalo’s signature LifeSource Bits—a combination of specific antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins curated by animal nutritionists and veterinarians with the intention of supporting your cat’s overall health.
- Superior Balance of Omegas 3 and 6. This particular Blue Buffalo cat food is formulated to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin through an optimal balance of omegas 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
Sample buyer review… “Having owned multiple cats over the past 10+ years, I can honestly say Blue Buffalo is the only brand of food I’ll buy.”
Best Wet Cat Food
Our Pick: Tiki Cat Emma Luau Variety Pack
Canned wet foods are a great option for cats who struggle with staying hydrated as they contain a higher moisture content. They also work wonders for the pickier eaters. Tiki Cat’s Emma Luau Variety Pack is an excellent choice when it comes to choosing wet food for your feline friend.
- Heart Health. All of these formulas contain taurine which helps support heart health.
- No Harmful Ingredients. Tiki Cat’s recipes are only made with pure ingredients and are free from grains, wheat, corn, soy, GMO ingredients, MSG, and carrageenan.
- Necessary Hydration. These formulas help cats stay properly hydrated without the hassle
Sample buyer review… “My 4-year-old Burmese turns her nose up at most things, and even sometimes a food she’s previously loved. She was rejecting everything a few months ago and I bought Tiki Cat partly out of desperation/partly because I liked the label, ha! She has loved this since day one and I like how I am feeding her something I recognize and could possibly be in a can of my own food. She gobbles it all up and licks the bowl clean.”
Best High-Protein Cat Food
If you’re looking for a high-protein cat food to fuel your pet’s daily adventures, consider American Journey Salmon Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food. It’s crafted with high-quality ingredients like salmon, pumpkin, carrots, spinach, and blueberries. We also love that it’s rich in omega fatty acids to help support your cat’s skin and coat health and taurine to support healthy eyes and heart.
Real, deboned salmon is the first ingredient. Features 40 percent high-quality, delicious protein to fuel your cat’s active lifestyle and help maintain lean muscles.
Contains fiber-rich fruits and veggies. This formula is packed with great sources of fiber for cats like pumpkin, spinach, apples, carrots, and blueberries, which also provide vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to help support a healthy immune system.
Made without fillers that can cause stomach upset in food-sensitive pets. Not only is this a grain-free cat food, it’s also made without corn, wheat or soy. You also won’t find any artificial preservatives or poultry by-product meal in this recipe.
Sample buyer review… “We have two cats, one has a chicken allergy… And boy oh boy, both cats can’t seem to get enough! My one with allergies is eating all of his food each day and asking for more! We have had less upset bellies and gas as well from both. Their coats are shiny and full, and they both have more energy.”
Best Grain-Free Cat Food
Have a cat with food allergies or a sensitive stomach? Then a grain-free formula might be the perfect fit! At Great Pet Reviews we landed on Purina Beyond’s Grain-Free formula as the best grain-free option for cats. Here’s why:
- Great First Ingredient. Purina Beyond is formulated with real Ocean Whitefish as the first ingredient, giving your cat the necessary protein to grow strong muscles.
- Contains Natural Probiotics. This recipe also includes natural probiotics to promote healthy digestion, along with added vitamins and minerals for optimal health.
- A Taste Cats Love. Cats absolutely love the taste and you can rest easy knowing this formula is full of nutrients and free of harmful ingredients. Even your pickiest eater will love this option while also receiving all of the healthy benefits.
Sample buyer review… “My youngest kitten (7 months old) has food allergies. We’ve narrowed it down to wheat, corn, or soy. I have a total of five cats and trying to find a food they would all eat seemed impossible…My kitten ate it, she liked it, and she didn’t break out or vomit. Then the rest of them came sniffing around. Hallelujah, they all LOVED it.”
Best Kitten Food
Our pick: Wellness Complete Health Kitten Formula
In order for your kitten to grow into a healthy, happy cat, it’s important to make sure you give them proper nutrition right from the start. Below we explain why we suggest Wellness Complete Health Kitten Formula as an excellent option for your little one.
- Great First Ingredient. The first ingredient is protein-rich chicken to help aid in muscle development.
- Nutrient Rich. This formula is packed with nutrients to support your kitten in their physical and mental development such as antioxidant-rich cranberries, vitamins, balanced minerals, omega fatty acids, and essential taurine.
- Full Spectrum Goodness. Wellness Complete emphasizes that this recipe supports the 5 signs of kitty wellness—a lustrous skin and coat, a healthy stomach, bright eyes, strong teeth and gums, and plenty of energy and immune health.
Sample buyer review… “My kitten had never been a glutton or driven crazy by food or treats. But when I introduced this stuff to her, she went BANANAS. She LOVES this stuff, just gobbles it up right away and I’m happy because I know she’s getting really healthy food and that she’s enjoying it.”
Best Cat Food for Seniors
Aging cats have different needs than other cats when it comes to the nutrients they require to stay healthy. With that in mind, Halo Grain Free Senior Holistic Chicken and Chicken Liver is our top choice of senior formulas that will help your older cat live their healthiest possible life. Want to know why? Read on.
- Free of Harmful Ingredients. Halo prides themselves on creating a formula that is free from growth hormones and antibiotics. This formula also has no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- Vitamins from Real Food. Made with sweet potatoes, blueberries, carrots and cranberries your cat will get all essential vitamins, fiber and antioxidants they need from real food sources.
- Healthy Skin and Coat. Formulated with Halo’s DreamCoat supplement, this recipe contains essential fatty acids and nutrients for healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Lower in Calories. Senior cats need to be consuming less calories than younger cats, and this recipe takes that into account.
Sample buyer review… “My cats are picky and they love this food.”
Keeping your cat healthy and happy begins with a diet that is focused on optimal nutrition and pure ingredients. We hope that our curated list helps you find the best formulas for your feline friend depending on her specific needs and your specific wants.
Don’t miss the next pet food recall!
Stay up to date with pet-related recalls and alerts so you can help keep your dog or cat safe.