In the market for a new litter box for your cat? Whether you’re a new cat parent researching the plethora of options or an experienced one looking to optimize your cat’s current litter box situation, it’s easy to get engulfed in the search. There are far too many litter boxes out there to choose from. With different shapes and sizes to different features and accolades, how do you know what’s best for you?
On Amazon in particular, a quick search for cat litter boxes will yield hundreds of products. When you filter your search results by ratings, thankfully you will see the top ones that have the best reviews. From there, picking the right litter box truly is about your (and your cat’s) personal preference.
In this roundup, we highlight the best-selling cat litter boxes on Amazon so your research time is minimized and you can navigate quickly to purchase one as quickly as the convenient online shopping experience will allow.
Top Cat Litter Boxes on Amazon
- Best Overall: Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box System Starter Kit
- Most Affordable: Van Ness Odor Control Large Enclosed Cat Pan with Odor Door
- Best Top Entry Litter Box: IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box with Cat Litter Scoop
- Best Enclosed Litter Box: Petmate Booda Dome Clean Step Cat Litter Box
- Best for Large Cats: Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
- Best Self Cleaning Litter Box: PetSafe ScoopFree Automatic Self-Cleaning Hooded Litter Box
- Best Litter Box With Sifter: Arm & Hammer Large Sifting Litter Pan
- Best Hidden Cat Litter Box: Good Pet Stuff Hidden Litter Box
- Best Disposable Litter Box: Kitty’s WonderBox Disposable Litter Box
How We Chose Our Top Amazon Cat Litter Boxes
With all of the litter box options out there, it’s hard to digest. For this roundup, we narrowed down our favorites by looking at litter boxes with thousands of reviews that have overall ratings of 4 stars or more, and thoughtful comments from those who purchased the product.
As a cat mom myself and pet content contributor, I also tried many of these for my beloved felines over the years.
From there, we included a variety of choices based on specific use cases and needs, such as:
- If you need a cover because your cats are messy
- If you have a household with multiple cats
- If you’re not home often and need a litter box that’ll clean itself
- If you need a reliable litter box, but are on a budget
- If you need something disposable in case you’re traveling with your furry friends
9 Best Cat Litter Boxes on Amazon
Best Overall Litter Box on Amazon
|Dimensions||6.5 x 21 x 10.5 inches|
We love this litter box (which has nearly 15,000 reviews and an average 4 ½ star rating) because it comes with all the cat litter box supplies you need to get started: the box, a scoop, and some non-clumping litter. Perfect for new cat parents, this option also comes with litter pads that absorb urine, which passes through the pellets. Designed to last 7 days, solid waste will stay above the litter, so you can easily scoop it out and remove, but there’s no clumping or the need to dispose of pee.
- Includes one pack of 4 cat pads and 1 bag of 3.5-pound litter made of pellets
- Cat pads are stored in a drawer that easily slide in and out for cleaning convenience
- Cat pads are meant to also prevent odor
- Less messy than clumping litter, which sometimes can produce dust
Things to Consider
- It’s recommended that you replace pellets monthly
- Since you’re using pads to soak up urine, you will need to use at least one per week. Factor that in as an added cost
Most Affordable Litter Box on Amazon
|Dimensions||19.5 x 15.25 x 17 inches|
Many cats and their cat owners love an enclosed cat pan (which has nearly 27,000 reviews with an average 4 ½ star rating). For one, it keeps messes in when cats dig to bury their business. Secondly, this enclosed litter box from Amazon can also keep yucky scents from taking over your home. Made of plastic, this product has latches around it to secure the lid on its base. If you need to transport it, a carrying handle is also a great feature. At under $20, this is a great affordable option.
- Door on the enclosure helps keep odors in
- A replaceable Zeolite air filter also minimizes smell
- A sifter is included to help with cleanings
- You can use any type of litter—clumping or pellets
- Available in gray or blue
Things to Consider
- You have to de-latch the lid to clean the box
Best Top Entry Cat Litter Box on Amazon
|Dimensions||Large = 20.75 x 16.13 x 14.63 inches, Medium = 17.32 x 13.39 x 12.2 inches|
This top-entry litter box from Amazon (with over 28,000 reviews and an average 4 ½ star rating) earns our award for being the cleanest. Because of the way it’s constructed, it’ll successfully keep spraying and litter scatter in. Its grooved lid will also help keep litter particles from ending up on the floor since kitty can clean her paws before moving onto the next activity.
- Beautifully designed
- Comes in two sizes—medium and large
- Choose from four colors: gray, black, orange and white
Things to Consider
- Some cats may not love a top-entry litter box
Best Cat Litter Box Enclosure on Amazon
|Dimensions||22.5 x 22.5 x 19 inches|
We love this cat-house style litter box from Amazon, which has over 19,000 reviews and an average 4 ½ star rating. Shaped like a dome, it’s enclosed enough to keep messy litter in. Steps leading up to the box will clean your cat’s paws when they’re done doing their business and its cover will give your cat the privacy they crave when using this box. According to several reviewers, this litter box is one of the larger covered boxes they can find, so it’ll be great for bigger cats and multiples.
- The hooded top comes with a handle so it’s easy to lift and clean
- Choose from three colors: brushed nickel, pearl white and titanium
- Large enough for big cats or multiple-cat households
Things to Consider
- In addition to cleaning the litter box, you should also clean the hooded top
- Some buyers said they don’t use the bag liners
Best Amazon Cat Litter Box for Large Cats
Our Pick: Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
|Dimensions||22.44 x 19.69 x 18.31 inches|
This “jumbo” sized litter box from Amazon (with over 25,000 reviews and an average rating of 4 ½ stars) is made for privacy and odor control. Reviewers all echo that it’s huge! Its hooded top comes with a door that provides easy access but also traps yucky smells. An integrated carbon filter aims to help with odor control, too.
- A carrying handle makes it easy to lift the top for cleanings
- Slider locks help keep the top in place for when it’s in use
Things to Consider
- The carbon filter is sold separately, but integrated nicely
- You can also buy Catit’s Amonia Buster to prevent strong ammonia odors
Best Self Cleaning Cat Litter Box on Amazon
|Dimensions||20.38 x 11.69 x 28 inches|
Hate scooping poop? This automatic litter box from Amazon (which has over 11,000 reviews and an average 4-star rating) is the answer. Remove each tray of crystal litter and just throw it away after several weeks. No scooping, cleaning or refilling required. Since you’ll be using crystal litter with this box, a leak-proof tray will soak up urine, while the litter box itself will sift through to set your cat’s poop aside. And don’t worry about your cat. The litter box senses when it’s in use and will clean 20 minutes after your cat is done.
- This litter box uses crystals, which produce less dust
- A health counter will help you keep track how often your cat uses the box (too little or too much can be a sign of a illness, so check with your vet if something concerns you)
- You can choose from front entry, top entry or uncovered
Things to Consider
- This litter box is more expensive than non-motorized ones
- You will have to buy disposable trays (which come with plastic linings)
Best Litter Box With a Sifter on Amazon
Our Pick: Arm & Hammer Large Sifting Litter Pan
|Dimensions||19 x 15 x 8 inches|
If you don’t want to have to dig and scoop, this sifting litter box from Amazon (which has 35,000+ reviews and an average rating of 4 ½ stars) is your best bet. It comes with two litter pans and one sifter so you can sift to clean and swap when you need to do an even deeper clean. From pellets to clumping to crystal, you can use this litter box for any type of litter your cat prefers.
- Made of recycled materials
- Pan has antimicrobial product protection
- Sifter makes cleaning easy and hassle free
- Affordable price point
Things to Consider
- While the item description says you can use it with any type of litter, pellets (because they’re larger pieces) will be harder to sift through
Best Hidden Litter Box on Amazon
Our Pick: Good Pet Stuff Hidden Litter Box
|Dimensions||19 x 19 x 20 inches|
If you are in the market for an inconspicuous litter box, disguised as something else, this one that looks like a potted plant can be a great solution. With almost 20,000 reviews at an average 4 ½ star rating, this “hidden” litter box on Amazon is made of durable polypropylene and has an artificial plant on top. Because it’s enclosed, your cat will appreciate the privacy it provides.
- A filtered vented system helps to control odor and dust
- Made for larger cats or households with multiple felines
- Available in two colors: gray or brown
Things to Consider
- You will have to remove the top half to clean
- May not fit everyone’s decor choices
Best Disposable Litter Box on Amazon
Our Pick: Kitty’s WonderBox Disposable Litter Box
|Dimensions||13.5 x 17 x 3.5 inches|
Made of recycled paper, this 100% biodegradable litter box is disposable for your convenience. Ideal for trips with your cat or temporary use, this litter pan won’t leak, tear or shred even though it’s not made of plastic. You can use any type of litter. Just keep in mind—a scoop is not included.
- The paper that this litter box is made out of also helps neutralize ammonia
- Convenient for travel
- Scooping waste aside, you won’t have to clean much else since you’ll just throw out the pan after use
- You can get them in packs of 1, 3 or 6
Things to Consider
- It’s not large, so consider a different box if you have a bigger cat
Amazon Cat Litter Box Buying Guide
We hope you love the litter box options from Amazon that we presented to you above. But, if you still have a lot of questions before you buy, the following tips will help you narrow down your options.
Choose the right size. One of the most important things to review when shopping for a litter box on Amazon is the size. If you’re shopping at a brick-and-mortar store, you’ll be able to see the box in person to make sure it will accommodate your cat. On Amazon, you’ll have to look at the dimensions provided to confirm it’ll work for your cat and your space. Use masking tape to outline the section where you plan to put your box to see how it’ll fit before you buy.
Find a reputable seller. In case you’re not already familiar, various sellers sell products on Amazon and sometimes it can be hard to tell who’s reputable. Before you buy, make sure to factor in seller ratings and seller reviews. Look for sellers with very little negative feedback. You can also check “fulfilled by Amazon” as a filter when shopping to be super safe.
Read the return policy. If your litter box purchase is “fulfilled by Amazon,” you should be able to return it within 30 days of purchase. If the item is fulfilled by a third-party seller, the seller determines their own return policy, so you’ll want to review that to know if you’ll have an issue should you not like the product.
Don’t skip over the details. When shopping for litter boxes on Amazon, don’t forget to scroll down halfway on the page to see more details about the product. There, you’ll see product features, images, and use cases. If you scroll further down past that, you’ll also be able to scroll through customer questions (plus answers) and reviews. We particularly love it when customers share product photos. All of these things will help you get a better sense of if the litter box will work for your cat.
Follow your cat’s cues. One important thing to note is that no matter how great the ratings and reviews are about a litter box on Amazon, cats are not all created equal. They have their own personalities and preferences. Some cats may like an enclosed litter box, while others like open ones. You really won’t know if they like what you choose until it’s in your home. If your cat ends up not using the litter box as intended, it may be their own way of telling you they want a different option. Pay attention to their cues when you first try a new litter box.
Amazon Cat Litter Box FAQs
If this is your first time purchasing a cat litter box, here are some frequently asked questions by other shoppers to help you navigate the buying process.
Can cats share a litter box?
Yes, multiple cats in a household can absolutely share a litter box. If you have two cats (or more) in your home, you should definitely consider a larger litter box so there’s enough room for them to do their business. If you clean the litter box twice per day, your cats shouldn’t have any issues with it. But, cats tend to be very tidy creatures and if they don’t like sharing the litter box or if you’re not cleaning it often enough, they’ll let you know by pooping elsewhere. While cats can share a litter box, it’s recommended to have a litter box for each cat plus an additional one in your home so cats do not get territorial or start eliminating outside the box.
Where can I put my cat litter box?
Most people prefer to put the litter box in a bathroom so they have access to a toilet to flush down scooped poop. Important to note, you should not be flushing the actual litter down your toilet. Another great option for a litter box would be a corner in your home that doesn’t have a lot of foot traffic, or even a basement or garage. Cats tend to like their privacy when using the litter box, and odds are, you’re not going to want to see it in a prominent area.
How often should you replace a cat litter box?
You should not have to replace your cat litter box too often unless it’s a disposable one. If it’s made of plastic, they should last for several years, unless they crack. You will, however, have to completely clean out the litter box and replace the litter every 2-3 weeks. We suggest emptying it out and washing the box with cat-friendly soap or cleaning solution.
Do cats like automatic cat litter boxes?
Most cats should be fine with an automatic litter box, but it may take some time for them to get used to one. Automatic litter boxes will not clean and sift while your cat is physically in the box, so many might not even notice the difference between an automatic box and a standard one. Automatic litter boxes do make noise, so some cats may be bothered by the sounds when the box cleans.