Dog treats are a win-win for both dog parents and their furry friends. Not only does almost every dog love a good treat, but they actually help pet parents train, use positive reinforcement, and create deeper relationships with their dogs.
We’ve narrowed down the 6 best dog treats based on the specific needs of your pup so you can take out the guess-work and spend more time bonding with your buddy. Each of the following was selected based on a combination of customer reviews, quality ingredients, and price.
- Best Dog Treats for Chewers: Icelandic+ Wolffish Stick Chews Fish Dog Treat
- Best Treats for Puppies: Wellness Natural Grain-Free Lamb & Salmon Recipe Soft Puppy Bites
- Best Jerky Dog Treat: Hill’s Natural Jerky Strips with Real Beef Dog Treat
- Best Dental Treats for Dogs: Greenies Original Teenie Dental Dog Treats
- Best Treats for Senior Dogs: Dogswell Hip & Joint Soft Strips
- Best Treats for Dog Allergies: Rocco & Roxie Supply Co. Gourmet Beef Jerky Dog Sticks
Best Dog Treats for Chewers
Chewing is an ancestral trait in all dogs and it’s important to make sure your dog gets the opportunity to really chew or else they may go for your favorite pair of shoes or your new sofa. If you find your dog has been chomping on your personal items lately, we highly suggest giving them Icelandic+ Wolffish Stick Chews to help them satisfy their craving to chew.
- 100% Edible. Wolffish Stick Chews are an exceptional option because they are 100% edible and digestible.
- Fresh Single Ingredient. These single-ingredient treats (Wolffish Skin) are caught fresh daily in Iceland.
- Nutrient-Rich. Naturally occurring Omega-3 fatty acids promote a healthy skin and coat.
- Dense and Tough. Each Chew Stick is 5.5″ long and is extremely dense to challenge even the strongest of chewers.
Sample buyer review… “Our dogs love them! We’ll definitely buy these again.”
Best Treats for Puppies
If you want to start training your puppy on the right foot, it is essential to find a treat that they will enjoy. It’s also important that the treats you give your pup are formulated specifically for their age, as they will need treats that they are able to chew and digest. We recommend Wellness Natural Grain-Free Lamb & Salmon Recipe Soft Puppy Bites to do the trick.
- Easy to Chew. Formulated to be small, soft, and gentle for your pup’s little teeth.
- Great for Allergies. These treats are completely grain-free, making them an excellent option for puppies with allergies.
- Nutrient-Rich. This recipe includes powerful nutrients such as omega fatty acids and antioxidants that promote health and vitality.
- Long-Lasting Energy. Made with flaxseed and blueberries to give your pup a sustainable energy boost.
Sample buyer review… “Always in my cart for reorder. It smells good to my puppy and he’s always excited to get these treats.”
Best Jerky Dog Treats
There’s no getting around it: dogs love jerky! There are many different options for jerky treats on the market, but we found Hill’s Natural Jerky Strips to be the best Jerky Treat when it comes to ingredients, flavor, and overall pup satisfaction.
- High in Protein. Real beef is the first ingredient in these treats, promoting lean muscle growth and maintenance.
- Clean Ingredients. This recipe is made with quality ingredients that are free of artificial flavors and preservatives.
- Science-Backed. Formulated by veterinarians and animal nutritionists using predictive biology which allows this treat to serve your dog’s health now and well into the future.
Sample buyer review… “I love it that my little beast loves these so much and we will no doubt keep a constant supply at home so that he never runs out again.”
Best Dental Treats for Dogs:
Did you know that good oral hygiene can add years to your dog’s lifespan? In fact, having healthy teeth and gums is essential for your dog’s overall health. We searched the market for a dental treat that not only does the job of cleaning your dog’s pearly whites but is also something they actually enjoy chewing and eating. Greenies Original Teenie Dental Dog Treats stand alone as our favorite choice of dental treats.
- Clinically Proven. These treats have been proven to help fight both plaque and tartar buildup, freshen your dog’s breath, and maintain healthier teeth and gums.
- Easy to Digest. Made with highly soluble ingredients, these treats are safe and easy to digest.
- Veterinarian Approved. Greenies are accepted and approved by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC).
- Loved by Pups. All ingredients are natural and loved by dogs.
Sample buyer review… “I bought these as they are good for there teeth on a vets recommendation, and my dog loves them , he has one after his meal in the evening. I would recommend these ..”
Best Treats for Senior Dogs
Our pick: Dogswell Hip & Joint Soft Strips
Just because your best friend (yes, we mean your dog!) may be getting older, doesn’t mean they can’t benefit from treats. It’s important to note though that senior dogs need to have treats that cater to their unique needs. We found that Dogswell Soft Strips are an excellent choice because they cater to the nutritional and specific needs of senior dogs.
- Essential Nutrition. Formulated with Glucosamine & Chondroitin to help maintain hip and joint wellness.
- Great First Ingredient. The first ingredient in these treats is cage-free, hormone-free chicken which helps your older dog maintain muscle mass.
- Mineral Rich. This recipe includes New Zealand Green Mussels which are an excellent source of iron, selenium, iodine, calcium, and magnesium, all of which are important for your senior.
Sample buyer review… “My dog won’t eat hard biscuits or treats, and she’s very picky about soft treats. I decided to try these out, and I am so glad that I did! They are soft enough but also a bit chewy, so she takes her time with one of them. We give them to her after her last walk of the day, and she sits and drools waiting for it as soon as we get in the door!”
Best Treats for Dog Allergies
If your dog has allergies it can be hard to find a treat that sits well in their stomach and that they actually enjoy. We found Rocco & Roxie Jerky Sticks to be a great option for pups who want all the tastiness that comes with a treat, without the side effects of allergies and sensitivities.
- Free of Allergens. These treats contain no wheat, soy, corn, or gluten, making them a perfect option for any dogs with allergies and sensitive stomachs.
- Great First Ingredient. Fresh American beef is the first ingredient in these jerky sticks, allowing for optimal amounts of protein and a taste your pup won’t be able to resist.
- Excellent for Picky Eaters. Rocco & Roxie are so sure that even your fussiest eater will love their treats that they have a satisfaction guarantee. The treats are also tested by their resident taste-tester and labradoodle — Rocco.
Sample buyer review… “I gave my dog one and he’s ecstatic – not an easy thing for him as he’s not a huge treat lover as is, more of the ‘eh ok’ attitude especially after having a few and gets bored haha. Amazing quality and value! ”
Treats will always be a pet parent’s (second) best friend, but choosing the right one means checking ingredients, and making sure they don’t just get them to sit, roll, stay, or high-five — they also complement your dog’s all-round healthy diet. We hope we’ve helped you find the perfect treat for your dog!
Don't miss our vet-approved pet care tips!
Sign up for our newsletter to stay in-the-know.