All featured products are chosen at the discretion of the author. However, Great Pet Care may make a small affiliate commission if you click through and make a purchase.
A well-balanced dog food diet—whether homemade or store-bought—can help maintain the proper functioning of your pet’s stomach and digestive health. However, supplementing their diet with a probiotic can further help enhance healthy digestion and overall health.
When you have a pet experiencing digestive issues, including constipation, IBS, diarrhea, vomiting, allergies, or if they are suffering from a bacterial imbalance in the tummy due to certain health conditions, a daily dose of probiotics may restore the good bacteria in the gut.
A probiotic supplement, like the one offered by FullBucket Health for dogs and cats, can calm irritated stomachs and help break down food so nutrients are properly extracted and absorbed.
In this article, we explore pet probiotics, how they can help your pet, and how FullBucket Health’s solution stacks up in the pet probiotic category.
Benefits of Probiotics for Dogs and Cats
Probiotics contain good bacteria that already live in an animal’s stomach. These heroes fight the harmful bacteria in our pets’ digestive systems, ensuring a balance of both good and bad bacteria—which is essential to overall gut health.
When bad bacteria increases—either due to an infection, illness, or a change in diet—it can cause an upset stomach. Antibiotics or steroids used to treat certain conditions may also increase bad bacteria, leading to an imbalance in the stomach. Additionally, a trip to the veterinarian or a change in routine could also cause your cat or dog stress, resulting in diarrhea or vomiting. A probiotic supplement can help alleviate these stomach issues and get your furry friend back on track.
Even when your pet doesn’t show gastrointestinal distress and is generally healthy, a probiotic can help keep their digestive system in good shape. Some pets may also benefit from a probiotic supplement as they get older, as they may encounter more general health issues.
Here are some specific ways a probiotic supplement may aid your pet (1):
- Ease digestive issues, such as diarrhea and gas
- Support healthy digestion
- Rebalance the stomach bacteria, increasing good bacteria in the gut
- Optimize the immune system
- Help combat urinary tract infections (UTIs)
What Is FullBucket Health?
FullBucket Health is a veterinarian-owned and operated company that started with the mission of helping improve nutrition for animals, especially horses. It has since evolved to include companion animals.
Dr. Rob Franklin and Dr. Keith Latson started the company with Robo Hendrickson in 2010 because they wanted to help animal patients deal with diarrhea. When they couldn’t find a natural solution, they developed their own. Product formulation is headed by Dr. Franklin and a team of Ph.D. nutritionists.
The U.S.-based company uses all-natural, premium-grade ingredients—all of which are listed on the label and are lab tested for the appropriate amount. All formulas are also tested by a third party for accuracy, purity, and potency.
The probiotics come in an easy-to-use powder form for both dogs and cats. There is also a paste available for dogs, which is meant to be a fast-acting solution for dogs suffering from gastrointestinal issues including diarrhea, constipation, or excess gas.
Some highlights of FullBucket Health’s pet probiotics include:
- Concentration is between 5 to 12.5 Billion CFUs (colony-forming units).
- The formula starts with S. boulardii yeast strain, the most peer-reviewed and clinically researched probiotic in the world. This strain fights pathogens and bad microbes in the gut without taking over the gut.
- The probiotics are all natural, vegan, gluten free, and non-GMO.
- The powder has a natural peanut butter flavor.
- All ingredients are sourced from the United States and products are manufactured in Oregon.
- The company offers a 100% money back guarantee if customers are not completely satisfied with the product.
How to Use FullHealth’s Probiotic Powder for Dogs and Cats
Using FullHealth’s probiotic powder for pets is simple. For adult dogs and cats, simply sprinkle a scoop of the probiotic powder on top of their food once or twice daily and serve. For puppies and kittens, the label advises 1/2 scoop on food once or twice daily.
Before starting your dog or cat on the probiotic supplement, consult with your veterinarian for the right amount and schedule for your pet.
Putting FullBucket Health to the Test
I have two adopted dogs between the ages of 9 and 12, one of which occasionally experiences gastrointestinal distress. I decided to give both of them FullBucket probiotic supplements in powder form.
I introduced the supplement by putting a scoop over their food in the morning. Both dogs gobbled it up quickly and licked their bowls clean—so taste was clearly not an issue.
Within a week of trying this new supplement, I noticed that my younger dog (who typically has constipation and hard excrements) started having healthier stools with ease. I did not see any significant difference with the other dog, but I am hoping a healthier gut will improve her immune system as she gets older.
Things I Like About FullBucket Health’s Supplement
- Adding the supplement to their food was easy and the dogs loved it. There was no need to ease them into it over time, which made its addition a simple part of the daily routine.
- It was great knowing that the product has all-natural ingredients that are sourced in the United States. I cook my dogs’ food with organic ingredients, so I am particular about what I add to their diet.
- I love the fact that the company offers a money-back guarantee and values customer satisfaction.
- It’s also wonderful that each purchase helps working animals in need through the FullBucket One-4-One philanthropy program.
Things to Consider
- Each FullBucket canine supplement jar has 30 servings for $27.99. There is an option to purchase a container with 150 servings for $112.00.
- When you have multiple dogs, or a dog that needs the supplement twice daily, this can become a bit expensive. However, since we value our pets so much, this is a small price to pay to benefit their health and well-being.
FullBucket Health: Our Verdict
Overall, I found the probiotic powder from FullBucket Health a great addition to my pets’ nutrition and wellness regimen.
It was easy to use and my dogs really enjoyed the taste. I also noticed a significant difference in the stool quality of my younger dog, who has had issues with constipation and hard stools in the past.
While the price point is on the higher side, it’s comparable to the cost of many other dog and cat probiotics on the market. And I think it’s worth the price, since it worked well for both of my dogs. There’s also cost savings to be had if you order the powder in larger quantities.
Dogs with general digestive issues or GI upset due to stress or a change in diet can greatly benefit from a probiotic supplement to maintain optimal gut health. FullBucket Health is definitely an effective supplement that pet parents may want to consider!
Don’t miss the next pet food recall!
Stay up to date with pet-related recalls and alerts so you can help keep your dog or cat safe.