All featured products are chosen at the discretion of the author. However, Great Pet Care may make a small affiliate commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Making sure your pet is happy and healthy throughout their life is a top priority here at Great Pet Media. That’s why our review team has curated a list of the best dog food of 2021, based on a combination of customer reviews, quality ingredients, and price.
High-quality dog food helps your dog stay playful, active, and healthy for years to come. All the brands we recommend offer the nutrition and protein your dog needs to be as healthy as possible. Read on to find the option that fits your dog and your lifestyle best.
- Best Overall: JustFoodForDogs Chicken & White Rice
- Best Dry Dog Food: Taste of The Wild Grain Free Premium High Protein Dry Dog Food Pacific Stream Puppy – Smoked Salmon
- Best Wet Dog Food: Diamond Naturals Beef Dinner For Adult Dogs & Puppies
- Best Vegetarian Dog Food: Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Formula
- Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach: Wellness CORE Digestive Health Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe
- Best Grain-Free Dog Food: American Journey Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Best Puppy Food: Halo Holistic Chicken and Chicken Liver Recipe for Puppies
- Best Dog Food for Seniors: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Senior Dog Food
Our Pick: JustFoodForDogs Chicken & White Rice
We’re big fans of the fresh and natural dog food movement, and this popular chicken and rice formula from JustFoodForDogs knocks it out of the park when it comes to flavor and optimal nutrition. The ingredient label is clean, easy-to-read, and chocked full of deliciousness for your four-legged companion.
- Chicken thighs is the main ingredient. Chicken is a lean protein and a great source of vitamins for dogs.
- Certified by AAFCO. This food underwent feeding trials and received AAFCO certification which means it offers a complete and balanced diet for dogs.
- Good for long-term feeding. This formula is designed for both puppies and adult dogs, meaning it can stay with your pup as they grow.
- It looks like real food. What you see is what you get. Right out of the bag, you’ll recognize the chicken, rice, carrots, and other ingredients. Nothing is hidden—and we love that.
Sample buyer review… “JFFD was recommended to me by a friend and I am very pleased with it so far. With my toy poodle puppy it was a very easy transition, he gets so excited when he sees the food, and I can definitely see a difference in his appearance.”
Best Dry Dog Food
If you’re looking for an all-around great dry food that is packed with superfoods and pure ingredients, consider Taste of the Wild’s Pacific Stream Recipe.
- Great First Ingredient. Salmon is the #1 ingredient in this kibble, which delivers an optimal amino acid profile and is protein-rich so your dog can build lean, strong muscles.
- Boosts Immune System. The formula helps boost your dog’s immune system and overall health through the power of antioxidants from ingredients such as tomatoes, blueberries, and raspberries.
- Excellent for Sensitive Stomachs. If your pup has any food sensitivities, this formula is free of grain, corn, wheat, fillers, artificial flavors and colors, and preservatives.
Sample buyer review… “I guess I have a picky puppy. It was not an easy task to get him to eat his last food. I decided I wanted to switch things up this time and try something new. I have purchased this brand in the past and have been happy with it. The puppy is now gobbling up his food and there is no more struggle! I’m very happy.”
Best Wet Dog Food
Wet food is always a helpful option for dogs who are picky eaters or who have limited appetites. Compared to dry dog foods, wet foods also often have more protein, fewer carbohydrates, and fewer synthetic preservatives. At Great Pet Media, we believe Diamond Naturals Beef Dinner is the best choice when it comes to choosing wet food to feed your dog.
- Nutrient Rich. Packed with nutrient-rich ingredients such as pumpkin, cranberries, quinoa, and blueberries.
- Real Food. Contains zero corn, wheat, fillers, artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
- Great First Ingredient. Beef is the first ingredient, allowing your pooch to build lean strong muscles.
- Easy to Digest. Includes prebiotic fiber allowing for smooth and easy digestion.
Sample buyer review… “I loved it when I opened the first can that is wasn’t filled with gravy/fat/jelly whatever the stuff is that usually fills in the sides and tops of cans. Our dogs have been so healthy and their hair is getting more manageable lately and shiny*.”
Best Vegetarian Dog Food
If you are considering a vegetarian or vegan dog food, Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Formula is a premium option. It’s designed to provide all breeds of adult dogs a complete and balanced alternative to a meat-based diet. This formula offers dogs the same essential nutrients found in diets with meat as the primary protein source, but it is made with no animal or dairy products.
- Vegan formula. Complete and balanced alternative to a meat-based diet.
- Premium energy sources. Features brown rice, oatmeal, barley, peas, and potatoes.
- Skin and coat support. Omega fatty acids help support healthy skin and a shiny coat.
Sample buyer review: “This dog food literally extended my dog’s life. She was in late stages of heart & kidney failure. We switched her to a full vegan diet & she became a new dog! It was so easy on her digestive system, she had more energy, & her coat was gorgeous! She was a 13 year old Afghan Hound given 1 month to live. A year later she finally passed, but I will forever credit this food for restoring her youth!”
Best Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach
Good digestive health is so important for a dog’s overall health and well-being. That’s why we think Wellness CORE Digestive Health is a great choice for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Their probiotic-coated kibble recipes are crafted with wholesome grains, digestive enzymes, and natural sources of prebiotic fiber to support your dog’s gut health.
- Guaranteed levels of probiotics support a healthy microbiome. There are 100 million CFUs of beneficial microorganisms in every pound of kibble to support gut health.
- Features chicken as the first ingredient. Wellness CORE recipes provide an ideal balance of protein, fats, carbs, and dietary fibers to nourish your pet and promote vitality.
- No added wheat, corn, soy or artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. We love what this highly digestible kibble does contain: Fiber-rich superfoods like papaya and pumpkin to promote digestive health and omega-3 fatty acids from flaxseed to help nourish your dog’s skin and coat.
Sample buyer review… “It is more expensive than many other brands, but the peace of mind I get from knowing that the ingredients are a higher quality is worth it. When vets have asked what I feed [my dogs], I always get a very positive thumbs up when I mention CORE.”
Best Grain-Free Dog Food
If you’re looking for a formula that is grain-free and that your dog will actually eat and enjoy, look no further than American Journey Salmon & Sweet Potato Grain Free Dry Dog Food. It’s crafted with high-quality ingredients like salmon, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, carrots, and blueberries. We also love that it’s rich in omega fatty acids, from sources like salmon oil and flaxseed, to help support your dog’s skin and coat health and brain and vision development.
- Real, deboned salmon is the first ingredient. Features 32 percent high-quality, delicious protein to help your dog maintain lean muscles.
- Contains fiber-rich fruits and veggies. This formula is packed with great sources of fiber for dogs, like sweet potatoes, dried kelp, carrots, and blueberries, which also provide vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to help support a healthy immune system.
- Made without fillers that can cause stomach upset in food-sensitive pets. Not only is this a grain-free dog food, it’s also made without corn, wheat or soy. You also won’t find any artificial preservatives, flavors or colors, or poultry by-product meals in this recipe.
Sample buyer review… “I have three fur babies, two mini Schnauzers and a mini Labradoodle. They may be small, but they have big appetites. I have searched for a good quality food that was affordable and that agreed with their sometimes finicky skin and stomachs. I switched to American Journey brand unsure of what to expect. Thankfully after three weeks, they all three love this food and have had zero issues!”
Best Puppy Food
It’s important to give your dog the best nutrition possible from the very beginning of their lives. This is why we suggest Halo Holistic Chicken and Chicken Liver Recipe for Puppies to nourish your puppy to grow strong and live a healthy balanced life.
- Made with Real Meat. Made with real whole meat, poultry, and fish and never uses unhealthy “meat meal,” making it easy for puppies to digest.
- Supports Energy and Vitality. Formulated with proteins to help aid in muscle development and contains healthy fat to give your puppy energy and vitality while also allowing for skin and coat support.
- Contains Antioxidants. Includes important antioxidants that aid in immune support.
Sample buyer review… “I want my dogs to have the best food without any diseased animals or filler added to it. Halo is by far the best food I’ve found in my search. I just adopted a puppy about two weeks ago and I immediately began the switch from the food she was eating, Science Diet, to Halo. She loves it!”
Best Dog Food for Seniors
Older dogs have different needs when it comes to the nutrients they require to stay healthy. With that in mind, it’s important to find targeted formulas for your aging furry friends, and Blue Buffalo BLUE Life Protection Formula is our top choice of senior formulas. You will want to switch your dog over to a senior formula around the ages of 10 to 12 for small breeds, and the ages of 7 to 8 for larger breeds.
- Real Pure Ingredients. Made with no-filler chicken and is free of wheat, corn, and soy.
- Made For Seniors. Many senior dogs also require less protein as they age, and this formula accounts for that by having just 18 percent.
- Nutrient Packed. Provides specific nutrients such as omega fatty acids and antioxidants to help with bone and teeth health.
- Supports Mobility. Includes Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help promote joint and hip health to support overall mobility.
Sample buyer review… “My old buddy is almost 14 and was being very flatulent on the other dog food I was feeding him. Changed over and in a couple of weeks he was eating better and he doesn’t run me out of the house anymore. Wish I had changed the food years ago.”
There are many options available when it comes to finding healthy and nutritious dog food. We hope that this thoughtfully curated list helps you on your journey to discovering the perfect one for your dog.