Making sure your pet is happy and healthy throughout their life is a top priority here at Great Pet Media. That’s why our review team has curated a list of the best dog food of 2020, based on a combination of customer reviews, quality ingredients, and price.
High-quality dog food helps your dog stay playful, active, and healthy for years to come. All the brands we recommend offer the nutrition and protein your dog needs to be as healthy as possible. Read on to find the option that fits your dog and your lifestyle best.
- Best Dry Food: Taste of The Wild Grain Free Premium High Protein Dry Dog Food Pacific Stream Puppy – Smoked Salmon
- Best Wet Dog Food: Diamond Naturals Beef Dinner For Adult Dogs & Puppies
- Best Grain-Free Dog Food: Health Extension Grain-Free Buffalo & Whitefish Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Best Puppy Food: Halo Holistic Chicken and Chicken Liver Recipe for Puppies
- Best Dog Food for Seniors: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Senior Dog Food
- Best Dog Food Delivery: The Farmers Dog
Best Dry Food
If you’re looking for an all-around great dry food that is packed with superfoods and pure ingredients, consider Taste of the Wild’s Pacific Stream Recipe.
- Great First Ingredient. Salmon is the #1 ingredient in this kibble, which delivers an optimal amino acid profile and is protein-rich so your dog can build lean, strong muscles.
- Boosts Immune System. The formula helps boost your dog’s immune system and overall health through the power of antioxidants from ingredients such as tomatoes, blueberries, and raspberries.
- Excellent for Sensitive Stomachs. If your pup has any food sensitivities, this formula is free of grain, corn, wheat, fillers, artificial flavors and colors, and preservatives.
Sample buyer review… “I guess I have a picky puppy. It was not an easy task to get him to eat his last food. I decided I wanted to switch things up this time and try something new. I have purchased this brand in the past and have been happy with it. The puppy is now gobbling up his food and there is no more struggle! I’m very happy.”
Best Wet Dog Food
Wet food is always a helpful option for dogs who are picky eaters or who have limited appetites. Compared to dry dog foods, wet foods also often have more protein, fewer carbohydrates, and fewer synthetic preservatives. At Great Pet Media, we believe Diamond Naturals Beef Dinner is the best choice when it comes to choosing wet food to feed your dog.
- Nutrient Rich. Packed with nutrient-rich ingredients such as pumpkin, cranberries, quinoa, and blueberries.
- Real Food. Contains zero corn, wheat, fillers, artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
- Great First Ingredient. Beef is the first ingredient, allowing your pooch to build lean strong muscles.
- Easy to Digest. Includes prebiotic fiber allowing for smooth and easy digestion.
Sample buyer review… “I loved it when I opened the first can that is wasn’t filled with gravy/fat/jelly whatever the stuff is that usually fills in the sides and tops of cans. Our dogs have been so healthy and their hair is getting more manageable lately and shiny*.”
Best Grain-Free Dog Food
It can be difficult to find a formula that is grain-free and that your dog will actually eat and enjoy. We’ve found Health Extension’s Grain-Free Buffalo & Whitefish Recipe to be an option that is not only grain-free but also a meal that your pup will continue to beg for.
- Immunity Boosting. Contains a unique blend of supplements and nutrients like apple cider vinegar and colostrum to help boost your dog’s immune system allowing for optimal health.
- Great for Sensitive Stomachs. This grain-free formula is also beneficial for any dogs who have sensitive digestive tracts and it’s free of added hormones.
- Loved by Dog Parents and Their Dogs. Pet parents rave about how their dogs love to eat this formula and how it doesn’t flare up their allergies.
Sample buyer review… “All great food ingredients that are really great for our furry friends. It helps out both of my dogs with very sensitive bellies to help keep food from being thrown up…Also it’s a family owned business.”
Best Puppy Food
It’s important to give your dog the best nutrition possible from the very beginning of their lives. This is why we suggest Halo Holistic Chicken and Chicken Liver Recipe for Puppies to nourish your puppy to grow strong and live a healthy balanced life.
- Made with Real Meat. Made with real whole meat, poultry, and fish and never uses unhealthy “meat meal,” making it easy for puppies to digest.
- Supports Energy and Vitality. Formulated with proteins to help aid in muscle development and contains healthy fat to give your puppy energy and vitality while also allowing for skin and coat support.
- Contains Antioxidants. Includes important antioxidants that aid in immune support.
Sample buyer review… “I want my dogs to have the best food without any diseased animals or filler added to it. Halo is by far the best food I’ve found in my search. I just adopted a puppy about two weeks ago and I immediately began the switch from the food she was eating, Science Diet, to Halo. She loves it!”
Best Dog Food for Seniors
Older dogs have different needs when it comes to the nutrients they require to stay healthy. With that in mind, it’s important to find targeted formulas for your aging furry friends, and Blue Buffalo BLUE Life Protection Formula is our top choice of senior formulas. You will want to switch your dog over to a senior formula around the ages of 10 to 12 for small breeds, and the ages of 7 to 8 for larger breeds.
- Real Pure Ingredients. Made with no-filler chicken and is free of wheat, corn, and soy.
- Made For Seniors. Many senior dogs also require less protein as they age, and this formula accounts for that by having just 18 percent.
- Nutrient Packed. Provides specific nutrients such as omega fatty acids and antioxidants to help with bone and teeth health.
- Supports Mobility. Includes Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help promote joint and hip health to support overall mobility.
Sample buyer review… “My old buddy is almost 14 and was being very flatulent on the other dog food I was feeding him. Changed over and in a couple of weeks he was eating better and he doesn’t run me out of the house anymore. Wish I had changed the food years ago.”
Best Dog Food Delivery
Our Pick: The Farmer’s Dog
If you are looking for an easy way to have fresh and nutritious dog food delivered to your door, The Farmer’s Dog is a home-run.
- Human-Grade Ingredients. What makes The Farmer’s Dog unique is that they use human-grade ingredients that are sourced from local farms and other reputable food suppliers.
- Always Fresh. Meals are never frozen and never sit on a shelf.
- Personalized Meals. Meal plans start at $2/day and are evaluated by a veterinarian based on your dog’s weight, breed, age, and activity level.
- Designed for Ease. The food arrives in pre-portioned, refrigerated containers that are ready to eat.
Sample review… “After a few days of solely feeding Archie The Farmer’s Dog food, his bowel movements became more solid and regular. He also became a little more interested in eating at mealtime rather than ignoring the food for a couple of hours before eating it.”
There are many options available when it comes to finding healthy and nutritious dog food. We hope that this thoughtfully curated list helps you on your journey to discovering the perfect one for your dog.
Don't miss our vet-approved pet care tips!
Sign up for our newsletter to stay in-the-know.